Filling and cartridge-loading workshop
Built in 1952, not a monument
This is one of the larger buildings on this section of the site. It used to be the filling and cartridge-loading workshop. A cartridge discharges a shot. The cartridge comprises the bullet, the powder charge, the percussion cap, and the shell containing all of these. Filling the munition was a very dangerous task, involving a host of precautionary measures. In the event of an explosion, the semi-curved roof directed the impact of a blast wave towards the north of the site. Here, woods had been planted as a buffer between the site and the city of Zaandam. The wave could not be directed south, as the administrative buildings were located on the waterfront.
The building currently houses De Patronage, which produces photographs and video and also stages events.
More information: https://depatronage.nl/